Saturday, September 17, 2011

Ne-Yo Admits Flaw in His Last Album

The singer says Libra Scale “went over people’s heads,” promises to go back to basics.
Ne-Yo
Between getting acclimated to his new role as a father and penning hits for other R&B artists, singer/songwriter Ne-Yo is back in full recording mode. Working on his fifth studio album the R&B crooner admits to BET.com that he might have went too far off course on his last effort, 2010’s Libra Scale.

“I feel like I might’ve got too cool for the room with the whole concept on the last album,” the Grammy Award winner concedes. “It went over people’s heads a little bit so for this one, not to say that I dumbed it down or anything, but I just made it about the music.”

Man enough to admit his wrongs, Ne-Yo promises to deliver a project that isn't based around overly thought out concepts.

“The direction for the new album is just good music,” the singer reassures. “It's music that you vibe to, music that you do what you do to, and that’s all I focused on.”

Getting back to the basics is the game plan for the still untitled project. In the meantime he will provide his fan base with periodic samplers of new material, rather than take the now common mixtape route some R&B singers are taking.

“I decided to not do that,” Ne-Yo says. ”I just don’t feel like that’s my lane. We get in the studio and just record silly stuff all day long so I might put some of that stuff out just to give my fans something new as they wait on the album.”

The LP is slated for an early 2012 release.
(Photo: Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment