Monday, July 4, 2011

Wimbledon 2011: Novak Djokovic hails 'dream come true'


Novak Djokovic
Djokovic wins Wimbledon title to end Nadal reign (UK only)
Novak Djokovic said he was ecstatic after adding the Wimbledon title to his new status as world number one.
Despite a third-set wobble the Serb, 24, beat Rafael Nadal 6-4 6-1 1-6 6-3 to secure his third Grand Slam title.
Djokovic, who ensured he would displace Nadal at the top of the rankings by winning his semi-final on Friday, said: "I achieved a lifetime goal and I made my dream come true in three days.
"It's an amazing feeling I won't forget and it's the best day of my career."
Djokovic guaranteed he would be world number one in the new rankings when he beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the last four and he followed up by outplaying defending champion Nadal on Centre Court on Sunday.
"For these kind of days, I was practising every day, being dedicated, being a tennis professional," he said.
"Any athlete in the world dreams of being number one. This is something that gives us a lot of motivation. So finally when you really do it and when you know that you're the best, it's just an amazing achievement."
Novak Djokovic
Djokovic 'still sleeping' after dream win (UK only)
Djokovic's victory made it 48 victories from 49 matches in an astonishing season that has also brought him the Australian Open and six ATP Tour titles, with his only defeat coming against Roger Federer in the French Open semi-finals.
It was the fifth time he had defeated Nadal this year and Djokovic said: "Winning two sets in just over an hour against the defending champion on the court he hadn't lost on for four years was incredible.
"I was just trying to enjoy the tennis that I was playing. It was the best tennis match on grass courts I've played ever."
Having become the first Serbian man to win at the All England Club, to add to his two Australian Open titles, a shocked Djokovic seemed uncertain on how to celebrate, opting to bizarrely pick some grass off the court and put it into his mouth.
"I felt like an animal - I wanted to see how it tastes," he added. "It came spontaneously, I didn't plan to do it, I didn't know what to do for my excitement and joy. It tastes good!"
Nadal, who carried a foot injury into the final, was second best for long periods of the two hour 28 minute contest.
Novak Djokovic celebrates his Wimbledon victory
Djokovic savours taste of victory
"I lost because I am playing against the best player of the moment, the best player of the world tomorrow, and I am the second," the 10-time Grand Slam champion said.
"When you play against these players and they are playing unbelievably, the normal thing is to lose. That's what has happened the last few times.
"When I was 100% to play, I lost against him five times. The rest of the year I won almost every match, so I'm doing things very well, but probably not against him.
"That's what I have to change. Probably the mental part is a little bit dangerous for me, because when I was at 5-4 [in the first set], I played a bad game from 30-0. When I was 4-3 down in the fourth set, I played another bad game with my serve.
"To win these kind of matches, I have to play well at those moments. To change things I probably have to be less nervous, play more aggressive, and all the time be confident with myself. That's what I'm going to try next time. If not, I'm going to be here explaining the sixth."
Having achieved his lifelong ambitions, Djokovic insisted: "This is what I'm born for. I want to win more Grand Slams. I will definitely not stop here."

No comments:

Post a Comment