Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Aliko Dangote To Buy Arsenal FC.


Aliko For Arsenal
Nigeria’s Forbes list billionaire Alhaji Aliko Dangote has entered the race to purchase a 16% stake in Arsenal FC.  Checks reveal that the Kano born billionaire registered his interest in the shares that is being sold by the club’s fourth-largest investor, Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith.
Aliko is a fan of Arsenal FC – “It started in 1980 when I forged a relationship with Mr David Dein, former vice chairman of the board of Arsenal” he said.
Bracewell-Smith’s stake is currently worth 96 million pounds, but she is seeking up to 160 million pounds for the shares.
However, Dangote is not alone in the quest to acquire the shares;  the other contenders include Arsenal’s two major existing investors, American business entrepreneur Enos Stanley “Stan” Kroenke and Russian oligarch Alisher Usmanov. If either Kroenke or Usmanov secure the extra 16% stake, they will automatically become the club’s largest share holders and may launch full takeover bid.
The US broker firm Blackstone is alleged to have placed Mr. Dangote on the short list to buy the Arsenal stake.
Lady Bracewell-Smith is said to be seeking £160m for her shares after she was forced to put them on sale earlier this year, following the changes within the Arsenal board due to the exit of Richard Carr.
Hear her:
“I’m in total shock and very upset about the appalling way I have been treated. The board have no manners whatsoever and my views were ignored on many occasions. I can’t understand why I have been removed in such a ruthless fashion. I have had no proper explanation as to why they wanted me out so much. It is very difficult to accept especially after what my family has done for Arsenal for so many years.” “I’ve never had a thought of selling my Arsenal shares and I still don’t.”  – Huhuonline

No comments:

Post a Comment