Thursday, April 8, 2010

JASON DERULO INTERVIEW (special)


Source: Tell me a little bit about the tour you’re on right now.

Jason Derulo: The tour is actually a promo tour. Basically, it started out as a single tour, but now switched into album mode. The album is being released worldwide. I’m actually in the UK right now. Tomorrow I go to Sweden and after that, Japan. It’s kind of a worldwide promo. Lot of television stuff, lot of radio stuff as well.
Source: Your born name is Jason Desrouleaux, but your artist name is Jason Derulo. Why did you change the spelling?
Jason Derulo: I just wanted people to be able to say my name without having to figure it out. So basically I was just trying to simplify it for the fans.
Source: I noticed that you don’t have any features on your album. It’s pretty unusual these days. What made you go that route?
Jason Derulo: I think quite too often now, new artists tend to have like a million features to maybe solidify them. I have a lot of friends in the industry being that I’ve written for so many people. But, I didn’t wanna do that. I wanted to count on myself and have my introduction be me and not be introduced by other people. I can handle an album by myself and I wanted people to know that. I’m fine on my own.
Source: Do you ever start writing songs for artists and then decide to keep them cause you like them so much?
Jason Derulo: Sometimes... I mean, it’s hard to pass up a great song. I just rest assured in knowing that I have a lot of great songs so it’s ok to let somebody else get that track. It’s just all good.
Source: You’ve opened for Lady Gaga. How was that experience?
Jason Derulo: It was a great experience. I wish I had like a cool story to tell you about how it came about, but basically she requested it and I was all for it.
Source: I’m assuming you got a chance to speak with her. What was that like?
Jason Derulo: Absolutely! Even the first time I talked to her, she said something that I will carry with me forever. She was like, I met a lot of talent, I seen a lot of talent in my day, but Jason you are special. You’re a star.
Source: Being from Haitian descent, were people around you expecting you to release a tribute song?
Jason Derulo: The thing is I’m not in the studio at all. I’m in a different country everyday, so it was impossible to do a song. I did two charities with Wyclef. I personally donated thousands of dollars myself. I did another charity with Jordin Sparks. And I did a couple of release shows where they got all the proceeds. So, a lot of effort went into helping Haiti out because that’s my roots. I know different nations come together. It’s beautiful to see that sometimes. With tragedy comes unity. I felt like a lot of people deserved a pat on their back for certain things that they did, but the war is not over. I wanna continue to see the same thing. I’ll pray for that.
Source: Any last words?
Jason Derulo: I recorded 300 plus songs  for this album, so I really put my heart and soul into this project. J.R. Rotem produced every song on the album and I really think it’s something special. Every song is different from the last, every song is a reinvention and every song is a potential single. That’s the reason why I put all this hard work in, because I was one of those people who hated skipping every tracks. I hated trying to go to my favorite song because there were three album fillers in between so I wanted to create something that’s special. That’s what my self-titled debut album is.
Jason Derulo's self-titled album hits stores today.

No comments:

Post a Comment