Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Drizzly Didn’t Know ‘So Far Gone’ Would Be A Success… “I Thought I Had Made The Biggest Mistake Of My Life”


XXL Drake Jonathan Mannion
XXL just dropped some excerpts from their upcoming Drake cover story and we were happy to see he managed to get through this photoshoot without looking extra sus… We were also surprised to discover that despite all the bragging this guy does, he’s actually pretty insecure when it comes to his craft. Pop the hood for more pics and his words on why he’s a little worried about his coming debut.
We’ve been riding Drizzly pretty tough about satisfying all this “rap royalty” hype, so we were glad to get an answer on the topic when XXL asked him if it’s been hard living up to it.:
Not hard. If you’re not struggling, then there’s something wrong. If it was effortless, then I’d be scared. If I was like, “Yeah, this is it, this is the one.” I’m still listening to it, and I’m like, “Man, I don’t know, it could be better.” But that’s just me. That’s just the artist in myself competing with myself. And now it’s so crazy, because, to be in the industry, a lot of people start playing you their music. You start hearing other people’s hits and sound, and you start thinking, Wow, okay, this is all the music that’s coming out this year. And you start thinking about yourself fitting into that, you know? Like, last year, other than Blueprint 3, it was a pretty dry year for hip-hop, as far as, like, the legends. But this year it’s way different.
We were shocked however to read the Toronto talent’s revelation that he had his doubts about the mixtape that launched his superstar status:
I wasn’t confident when I dropped So Far Gone, neither. I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life…
Yeah, ’cause I started the mixtape off with an R&B song about women that were lost in the world. It was a risk. I mean, we knew it meant something to us, but we also sat there, like, “Man, are people going to accept this? A rapper that’s singing?” And I’m not just doing melodies, I’m singing. Same with this album—I’m singing. And I even went further. I explored music on So Far Gone. I was taking other people’s music and revamping it. I can’t do that on an album. I love that genre of music. It sparks something in me when I use soundscapes or write like that. So now I’ve crafted my own interpretations on that that apply to my life, and I’m just wondering, Are those going to work now? ’Cause it’s just me. It’s my shit. So it’s a lot of unknowns on this album.
We agree with Drizzly… it’s gonna be hard for him to live up to what he did with So Far Gone on this one. Do y’all think he can do it?
Photo Credit: Jonathan Mannion

No comments:

Post a Comment