Monday, September 17, 2012

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, producer of controversial anti-Muslim film

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula (Left).

The first pictures of the Egyptian born US man who is suspected to be behind the amateur movie considered to be in bad taste by followers of Islam have been released.
Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, is reported to be at the center of the probe into the amateurish movie “Innocence of Muslims,” which slanders the prophet Muhammed and triggered protests at several U.S. government buildings in the Middle East.
During a demonstration in Libya, which may have been used as cover by terrorists, an American ambassador and three of his colleagues were killed.
Anna Gurji: Said she was misled over the film's true contents.
The movie caused widespread protests in Egypt, Libya, and Yemen with the Benghazi, Libya protests taking the life of the U.S Ambassador, Christopher Stevens.
Though a man known as Sam Bacile had been preliminarily fingered as the creator of the film, AP connected Nakoula to the Bacile persona.
Meanwhile, in California, 21-year-old  Ms Gurji, who plays Muhammad’s child bride, spoke yesterday of her fear of reprisals and how she was ‘betrayed’ by Nakoula.
“I was playing the youngest bride of a character named George. I had no idea George would be changed to Muhammad. I’m locked up in my house. I’m terrified people in the Middle East will blame me.
“I’m Catholic so they might think I have something against Muslims. I’m taking pills to sleep. I’ve been crying for days. I feel betrayed. My face is stuck on the movie clip. People see that awful film and they see me.”
Ms Gurji said she and her fellow actors believed they were making an action film called Desert Warrior and that Nakoula, or ‘Sam’ as she knew him, never discussed religion.
Nakoula, whose name has been widely linked to the film in media reports, pleaded guilty to bank fraud in 2010 and was sentenced to 21 months in prison, to be followed by five years on supervised probation, court documents showed.
Nakoula Basseley Nakoula shielding face from media on arrival at police station for interview

No comments:

Post a Comment