Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Boko Haram: Remain where you are, FG urges Nigerians

AS panic stricken Nigerians continue to flee perceived trouble spots following Boko Haram directives to Christian southerners to relocate from the North and Muslim northerners from the South to the North, the Federal Government has urged Nigerians to ignore the call and remain where they choose to live.

This is the outcome of crucial security meeting presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan with Vice President Namadi Sambo and service chiefs in attendance, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Meanwhile, Inspector-General of Police, Mr Hafizi Ringim, has condemned the act of violence that characterised the organised labour protest against fuel subsidy removal in Kano, especially the hijack of the protest by miscreants who forced their way into Kano State Government House and burnt down over 30 vehicles.

Minister of Defence, Alhaji Haliru Mohammed, who fielded questions from State House correspondents on the outcome of the meeting said there was no cause for alarm, saying every Nigerian has the right to live wherever he wants.

He said: "I will like to assure all Nigerians that they should continue to live where they are. All arrangements have been made by the security forces to protect all Nigerians to live where they are living."

Also speaking, IGP Ringim, said: "Unfortunately, some people are feeling apprehensive and there is nothing you can do about it. They have the right to move. But we want to give them assurance that we are ready, willing and determined more than ever before to provide them with necessary security to remain wherever they want to remain in this country."

Asked if the government was concerned about the loss of three lives in the protests, Haliru said "government is very concerned and all measures are being taken to end protest.

IGP hails Labour for peaceful protest

The police who commended Labour for their peaceful conduct during the protest said: "This meeting centred on the progress so far made by law enforcement with regard to what has been happening within the last few days and we are satisfied that the NLC on its own has been conducting itself in the best peaceful manner."

He, however, expressed deep concern over activities of miscreants, saying: "It is also believed that there are miscreants that are trying to hijack this process and make it violent and we are not going to allow it as law enforcement officers.

"Over 30 vehicles were burnt in Kano Government House. Will you look at this and say this was the work of NLC? No, gentlemen. This was certainly not the work of NLC, this was the work of miscreants who wanted to burn, maim and loot and police have a responsibility to maintain law and order and that was what we did.

"As far as I know, as far as the records are concerned, three people have so far lost their lives. However, if you have any other dead bodies, please bring them forward."

On a man killed in Lagos

"I have ordered for investigation and that is what am supposed to do and after the investigation, I have made a promise that the result will be made public and whoever is found culpable will be charged to court."


  1. They are jokers. I learnt they said this based on the call by Pastor Oritsejafor that christians should protect themselves. Sincerely, they can't handle christians.

    1. I believe it is not a muslim/christian battle. Let those ready to rage terror on innocent people desist please. Long live Nigeria!