Tuesday, June 12, 2012

TROUBLE: Lauryn Hill responds to tax evasion charges

SINGER LAURYN Hill has spoken out about being charged with failing to file income tax returns for the first time.

The mother-of-six, who earned more than $1.6 million between 2005-2007, has been accused by federal prosecutors of not paying her taxes correctly within those three years, reports The Huffington Post.

Despite taking a hiatus from music since the release of her critically acclaimed album The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, according to court papers Hill's main source of income comes from music and film royalties.

In an essay released on her official Tumblr website this weekend, Hill wrote: "I did not deliberately abandon my fans, nor did I deliberately abandon any responsibilities, but I did however put my safety, health and freedom and the freedom, safety and health of my family first over all other material concerns!"

"When I was working consistently without being affected by the interferences mentioned above, I filed and paid my taxes. This only stopped when it was necessary to withdraw from society, in order to guarantee the safety and well-being of myself and my family," she continued.

The documents also reportedly show that she also owns and operates four companies: Creations Music Inc., Boogie Tours Inc., L.H. Productions 2001 Inc. and Studio 22 Inc.

Hill is scheduled to appear before a federal magistrate on June 29.

If found guilty she could face a maximum penalty of a year in prison and $100,000 fine on each of the three charges.
@TT_SOURCE

No comments:

Post a Comment