Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Asa set to release ‘BEAUTIFUL IMPERFECTION’ Sophomore Album in october

Asa
The soul diva, Asa is set to release her long-awaited sophomore album, beautiful imperfection after almost two years of the release of her debut  ‘Asa’ in 2008, which is still imprinted in our minds. She claims it was completed within six months. Asa gave an impressionistic view of what the album will look like in an interview she had with Himagazine.
She informed the album contained comical and love songs with tracks like be my man(her first single which is set to be released this week), Bimpe, Broda ole, Questions, ok and others.
The soul singer disclosed she had loved to sing in her local dialect, yoruba. Asa would premiere her first single ‘be my man’ off the album ‘beautiful imperfection’ on radio this week.
Read Interview Courtesy Hi Magazine:
It’s just a little over two years since we had the privilege of interviewing the phenomenal Asa! She had just completed her world tour for her debut album “Asa” and made one last but very important stop at home in Nigeria. Her disposition hadn’t changed, much; still the very positive, natural lady I met, but with red nail polish and some foundation! She introduces us to her “Beautiful Imperfection”.
This took me down memory lane to my last conversation with her about “Her Style & Men”:
D: I often joke around that if my husband is to have a secretary, it will definitely not be a female, and am not even sure about him having a man as one either, because you really can’t tell what anyone’s sexual orientation is these days. So, if he can’t hire a pig, then he should just forget about it!

A: Men, you just have to let them be, really. Because it is how they are built. It is the way they are made (I think). I don’t say that to be bad, but that is how it has been naturally, there is the alpha male, and from time the woman has just been put in a position to come… after.

D: Does this now make it okay for them to cheat?

A: Now, we know it’s what they are about, so do we want to die for it or move on. Don’t get me wrong, there are men who still love their wives, but there is just this thing about Men, we as women have to manage it, we have a role to play. You can’t fight to win a man, they are physically stronger, but emotionally women are stronger and in calculation and focus, and that’s why women need to carry each other.

D: On that note you are a pretty down to earth looking kind of girl, not exactly your prissy kind of girl, what inspires your style from your hair to your choice of clothing?

A: Simple. I like to be simple, very simple. Colours that I am comfortable with – Earthy tone. My Glasses, Jeans; regular pants. I like to keep it down to earth – rugged but a little chic.”
. . .I’m not saying she has changed drastically, but you can definitely feel that she has become more of woman who is growing into her sexuality maturely & confidently.
On a beautiful sunny day we rode her bicycles (she has three!) around her neighbourhood and caught up on her new (exercise) lifestyle & new SUNNY album titled – Beautiful Imperfection.
Dammie: That was fun riding did you enjoy it?
Asa: I did.
D: How long have you been riding?
A: Since I was a kid.
D: So you were one of those kids who had the privilege to ride a bicycle and swim?
A: (Laughs) Actually no, I never had a bike, my brother did and when I was old enough, it was very bad. So all he did was push me around on the bike. We had a neighbour who had bicycles, we were always going to their place to play with the kids and that was how I started riding bicycles.
D: Nice! Well, how do I say this?! WELCOME BACK! It’s been a long anticipated 2 years waiting for your album, so  how has it been since the last time we spoke?
A: It has been fun and tough but I am grateful because I do not have any regrets.
D: So what have you been doing?
A: I’ve been touring.
D: What cities?
A: Most parts of Europe and we also went to America, Canada also Asia, Japan, Hong- Kong and Africa.
D: So how has it been? Have you stopped touring and how is the new album?
A: Yes, that is what I am working on, we stopped touring a few months back so I had about 6 months to settle to recuperate, to find myself and make new sounds. Although I had started writing on tour but it is very difficult.
D: When you say find your self should we expect Asa to have a new style or a new sound because I notice your make-up and the hair, you seem all lady like now (laughs)?
A: Its fun, I think it is part of finding myself because I spent the most of my life while growing taking care of people. I have been responsible for my siblings and so I had to grow up really fast and that took a lot of attention from me because I didn’t care about myself. So going out to various places and events has influenced me. I’m beginning to really like what I see and I tell myself that I’m  beautiful and  need to take care of myself.  Its fun really because I enjoy the growth, I don’t think I have changed I just added more colour.
D: Well, it is beautiful to see you looking so fabulous. Has this transformed your sound, your style of music?
Asa: I think I’m seeing things differently and it’s not like it has changed because I’ll always talk about social politics as long as it affects us and as long as we still have problems. Life is difficult and it affects me and also everybody but I think in the new album, I am much more happier and I think it’s because I have learned to let go of a lot of things, I have learnt to travel and carry light, it’s also about taking care of myself – I’m not saying I am leaving the people behind, all I’m saying is that I’m just letting go a lot of unnecessary baggage, so you can feel it because I’m happy. I’ve had a lot of sunshine and during these 2 years, I went through a lot of ups and downs and it has made me stronger.
D: That’s Inspiring. Don’t forget about the “downs” what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.
As a true fan of your work, I have tried to keep up-to-date with what goes on with you, and I notice you are modestly leaving out a huge accolade you received while on tour; I’m talking about the ‘Constantine Award’ that you won. That’s quite an honour as only 10 other artistes were nominated in the whole of France and you actually won, an African artiste and a Nigerian for that matter. How does that make you feel?
Asa: I feel honoured, I feel like I am not invincible and I feel someone is actually listening because when I was nominated, I felt like it wasn’t necessary because I was not French, I was born there but I’m not French,  I’m proudly Nigerian. I was nominated and I don’t even speak French as fluently as I speak Yoruba. I was surprised.  I was also given a big gift and I’m thankful to the French people because they have been really kind and warm to me.
D: With such a fan base over there, have you made any French songs?
Asa: Shortly before coming home, I did a song with one of their big artiste, ‘Yannick Noah’ he his Cameroonian but he has lived in France all his life.  He was also a tennis player; it’s exciting to be on his record and to sing in French. It is actually not an easy language; I spent hours trying to pronounce the words correctly, though it was fun.
D: (Laughs), Can’t wait to hear it. Before we ride back to your abode, I will love to get a sneak peek about some of the songs on your new album and would you like to give us an intro on what to expect in your coming album?
Asa: It is really difficult for me to talk about songs I do. Well all I can say is that you listen, like I said earlier the album is full of happiness. Growing up in Lagos, I got a lot of inspiration; so the album is strictly about Lagos, Nigeria where I come from.
We are here at Asa’s studio where she does most of her writing, and here I get to hear a sneak peek of some songs off her new album – Beautiful Imperfection, and tell YOU all about it! The ambiance is quite musical as you can imagine; it is fully decorated with different instruments ranging from Trumpets – Wall Paper designed with music notes ‘Treble and bass clef’.
Dammie: These are quite a lot of instruments and I had no clue you knew how to play the trumpet . . .
Asa: (Laughs), yes that is a pocket trumpet – it is smaller than the usual, and I’m learning on how to play but I don’t play very well. I like to have a lot of instruments around because I feel when you have instruments around you, they can inspire a new sound/song.
D: Talking about new sound/song, lets get right into it, shall we? What songs have you written at this studio?
A: The songs in the new album were written here and other parts of the house. It all started here and then I finished it somewhere in the other room. So it was like I started here in the studio and finished somewhere else.
D: With what is here now and completed, which of these songs would you like to share with us?
A: Lets start off with “Be My Man”.
D: Wow that’s a rather bold title. What are you insinuating here? Have you gotten to that point in your life when you feel like it is the right time for . . . marriage?
A: I do not know about marriage but yes like I told you, it’s my state of mind. I think I have worked and I think I should take it easy as I have gotten to a time where I think I understand stuff and do not have to be afraid. So I say yes.
D: So, would you say, you are ready for that bold step?
A: Yes you can say that.
D: GREAT! What inspired this song?
A: The guitar, the melodies actually the chorus came first but I feel it was something that had been on my mind and I had to bring it out.
D: The next song you will be playing for us. . .
A: This one is called “Bimpe”.
D: First I love the melody, the lyrics are something else entirely. So who is “Bimpe”?
A: Bimpe, is actually nobody, she is just a character.
D: So where did that come from, do you have a “Bimpe” in your life or in term of the “character”.
Asa: Never, I think the names I hear while growing up stuck with me, but sometimes as an adult, you just keep going back to childhood, and movies and all that and so “Bimpe” is the character in my fancy world. I just wanted to laugh and also have fun because I love Yoruba, it is beautiful. I was just playing around and enjoying myself .You know I was imagining me with a man that I love and the only obstacle was his sister and she wouldn’t want me to be close and I’m like, “hey watch out you’re a woman like me and who ever knows “Bimpe” should go warn her”. Basically I try to capture the streets – I had my own part of the street life when girls go out on the street and they tie wrappers around their waist.
D: Great capture; a nice warning/insight for could-be sister-in-laws. What’s NEXT?!
Asa: This one is called “Questions”.
D: What kind of questions?
Asa: Just questions. Listen.
D: Wow this is deep, so what were you thinking of what state of mind where you in?
A: I was going back to my surrounding, the news, the situation and the comedy around us you know politics and people who we put our trust in and also talking about what people think about and also questions we ask ourselves when we are in situations so the song is just “Questions”.
D: Before you get on the next track, have you played your favourite track for us?
Asa: It’s hard to choose a favourite.
D: Why?
Asa: It’s really because I like all the songs and since they are very new, I know some of them will have to go through changes so it’s hard. I love my songs in Yoruba.
D: Okay if you are to pick one off the top of your head, which one would it be?
Asa: Ok, let me see; let me play you this “Broda ole
D: Ok, there are two things I want to pick out from the songs I’ve just heard; One they are comical, and talk about love. How do you think people will receive the new “Happy Asa”?
Asa: I don’t know, I mean I think they will receive it as they did the first one I don’t know if they will be excited about it but I accepted growth and a change but I’m not a different person. I remain the same and I hope to share that through the music, I hope to add smiles to their faces as they listen to the songs. You just have to smile, be brave and hold on longer and that is what I am doing.
D: Very true. I would love to sit down here and listen to the whole album, but I will be cheating myself, so I will wait for the album to come out fully. But before we go, can you play us one last track?
Asa: This one is called “Ok”.
D: That’s breathtaking, and a good way to bid adieu. Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to listen to your album before it comes out and I hope you enjoyed the ride to the park.  It was a pleasure listening to these tracks and thanks for sharing the gift of music positively.
Asa: Mine also, thanks Dammie.


culled from: www.questionmarkmag.com

No comments:

Post a Comment