Saturday, August 18, 2012

I am Naija

 
I queue at the embassies and act so humble despite the fact that I am very impatient… I am that Nigerian, that Lagosian… that impatient person who’ll never let any other vehicle “chance me” in Lagos traffic, yet at the point of entry at Heathrow, I am so well behaved because of some small time “oyinbo” boys who will not bat an eye and send me back to my country at the slightest reason to…

I remember being in London some months back … I was with Bukky another naija babe (she’s basically British because she has never practically lived in naija), we were at Piccadilly square or somewhere close to there and she yelled at me “Tobi, lets be Nigerians and run across the express”… yeah, we did.. It was fun to because doing it in Mama Charlie’s land was seen as madness…  The adrenaline rush just running across the express way.. fun… making me realize how much craziness I Love at my city Lagos.

As a Yoruba boy with love for home parties and food, I remember traveling from Stoke on Trent to Birmingham for a Nigerian party… I was that excited to be Nigerian and I flaunt my identity .. never faking my accent… Oh the urge to speak pidgin English at the slightest and the delight of my mouth’s waters at Mama Segun’s akara and Agege bread at the African shop… It’s a pity our “home food” is always expensive and our parties are always mega dulling … but hey.. we need that treat instead of them pizzas and rubbish once in a while..

I am that Naija youth… the one that returns to MMA excited even after landing at 4am and recovering his luggage at 7am… yeah 3 hours later…. I am that Naija youth that is always glad to be home… yet running away to run his business…

I am Naija… I am a global citizen…. Beautiful People, Great Nation!! PS: For some Americans that I have met, Nigeria is seen as the capital of Africa… Lets Rep our Country… I have…
@TT_SOURCE

1 comment:

  1. Nyc one brov.....I gat my nerves back

    ReplyDelete